This Taiwanese popcorn chicken recipe is keto, low carb, low calorie with maximum flavor!!
It’s made in the air fryer so it’s quick and less messy than deep frying.
Nutrition per serving (6 servings):
Carbs: Less than 1g
Sugar: Less than 1g
- Chicken thigh: The best cut for popcorn chicken. It’s fatty and juicy as is so you don’t have to deep fry the popcorn chicken.
- Soy sauce: A classic low carb sauce that gives our chicken a rich salty flavor.
- Monkfruit sweetener: This sugar-free sweetener balances all of the salty seasonings without being too sweet.
- Chinese five-spice: This seasoning along with the Thai basil are the heart of the Taiwanese popcorn chicken taste.
- Kosher salt: Enhances the flavor of the popcorn chicken.
- Minced garlic: This important ingredient in our marinade soaks flavor into our chicken beautifully.
- Baking powder: Gives our popcorn chicken a crispy texture. The baking powder on chicken skin will make a crunchy texture!
- Cooking oil spray: I like using olive oil spray for this recipe but you can use your favorite spray.
- Thai basil: Definitely a primary flavor contributor to the popcorn chicken!